Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sleepy Sunday Christmas Craft

I'm really excited about these adorable trees! I worked on them today and a bit yesterday, and I am loving the way they look. I might move them from the mantle to the table... but really, they look good anywhere.

I started with three Styrofoam trees, two smalls and a large, and several different scrapbook papers in greens, browns, blues, and a red. I tried to pick smaller prints so that they would be visible when I cut them.

For the large tree, I followed this tutorial from Thompson Family Life, but used paper instead of felt. The larger tree is the one toward the back, but I'm rather shorter than the mantle, so the scale is just a bit off.

1The smaller trees are made from leaves cut from the paper. The first row is one strip of paper, to cover the bottom edge of the foam.


2Pin the leaves onto the styrofoam with flat head straight pins. Each row should overlap the preceding row in order to hide the pins. I let my colors alternate rows, but it would also be cute in diagonals or randomly placed.

3For the snowy top of the tree, I cut a cresent shape-- like the tops used on the tree from Thompson Family Life-- then scalloped the edges. I glued the sides into the cone shape, then pinned it atop the tree!!

This project was so easy, and the results are so cute! Another addition could be a bell or bow to the top, or maybe use decorative head pins as ornaments for your tree. No matter how you do it though, this craft is definitely one to get you in the Christmas spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment