Saturday, June 27, 2009

First attempt: Ruffled headband

Hello dear readers! I know I have been absent for a while, and it is not that I haven't been crafting. I have a few things under my belt to show you, but the weather has been so temperamental as to make taking pictures quite a chore.

However, the weather and my schedule have finally coordinated as to allow me to take pictures! So here was my first craft for the week: a ruffled headband.

I found the tutorial for this cute headband on the wonderful Heart of Light. I decided to alter it a bit and not have the ruffles cover so much of my head, as my hair is rather flat and not as cute as the hair in the tutorial, and I thought it would look strange.

I also used a wider ribbon that I had lying around-- another bad idea for my hair. I love the color of the ribbon, but the width did not work with my head.

Instead of simply letting the ribbon tie around my head, I added a piece of elastic to make a stretchable headband. To do this, I just folded the edges of the ribbon around into a cone shape--after applying some fray check-- and inserted the end of the elastic into the whole, then sewed the elastic into the ribbon.

I like the idea of tapering down toward the elastic, as it would decrease the amount of width behind the ears-- which can cause funny hair poufs in the back.

I do think the finished project turned out beautiful, but not beautiful for me. The wider ribbon would probably work better for a person with more volume in their hair.

Next time, I will definitely follow the directions--instead of going for convenience-- and use a smaller ribbon! I do definitely recommend this project, and you can check it out at Heart of Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment