Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sunday Afternoon Laptop Sleeve

A Sunday afternoon all to myself, and what to do? Make a laptop sleeve of course!! This excellent pattern came in the form of a free PDF download from Sew, Mama, Sew! The pattern is customizable to any laptop, which is really helpful as I have an older MacBook.

I think my case turned out beautifully, and I made in the span of one Sunday afternoon. I do love the accomplishment of a project that can be finished in one setting, made and enjoyed in one day!

I did have a few problems in making this case, but in the end, it was my own fault. I bought a double-sided fusible quilting batting, instead of the fusible fleece called for in the pattern. I thought this would eliminate a few steps, but in the end, it took longer because it would NOT stick.

I also added some double fold bias tape to the front flap to break up the small argyle pattern. This just added an extra step and a lot of careful sewing to the project. I had done bias tape before on a skirt, and it turned out really great.

However, sewing is not like riding a bike. I hadn't sewn for a while before this project, and while I thought I would still be able to sew just as well, I was mistaken. I ended up sewing the bias tape on at least twice.

The end project, however, is beautiful and fits my laptop like a glove, unlike the one I bought before! So, thank you, Sew, Mama, Sew! for the free PDF pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment