Thursday, April 15, 2010

{breezy}

Okay... Not the most flattering picture, but the skirt is so comfy! I made this easy, jersey skirt in under an hour the other day.

I had just gotten One Yard Wonders after failing to make a jersey skirt without a pattern. I suddenly wished I had had the book just a day earlier, because it would have saved a lot of math and seam ripping.

The skirt pattern and instructions are really simple and straight-forward. I also used a trick that I learned from my mother to make the waistband, without a seam showing!

It goes a little like this:

  1. Cut two waistband pieces the same length as the width of your skirt and double the measurement you want the waistband to be finished.
  2. Fold the waistband piece in half lengthwise with right sides together. Tuck one of the pieces of your skirt in between the edges of the waistband. Line the edges of the waistband with the top edge of the skirt. Pin.
  3. Sew.
  4. Pull the skirt piece out of the little roll, and this will automatically turn the waistband right side out-- like magic!
  5. Do the same to the other piece, then sew both sides of the skirt together!

*If that didn't make much sense to you, this tutorial might be helpful!

I'm already planning two improvements to this skirt: maybe a little embroidery at the bottom and next time I might not do jersey.

I'm also thinking this might be a cut way to make a dress and salvage an old t-shirt or tank. Just cut off the bottom of the shirt and stitch the skirt to the shirt. Cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment